Recapping the last few days, the more ME version of ME appears, the more we learn about ME. The more we learn about ME – not through mistakes, since I have gained wisdom by experiencing and experimenting with intuitive eating – and what ME/WE want to be – not what we should be – the better we are able to reclaim healthy, take it back from the blackness.
Imagine that there is a battle – a battle that wages between the blackness that grabs hold when stress is over-stress, a battle that is fought with the tools of recovery.
So, standing at the precipice of the next battleground, the next stage in reclaiming healthy, here are our lines, our path towards vivid, the next steps in recovery:
- No more drinking before eating two meals, since I am able to separate drinking to cope from drinking to enjoy, but I am not able to separate drinking for calories from these. I have allowed myself to consume alcohol calories outside of mealtimes (in the same way as having allowed myself to consume a latte outside of mealtimes), and therefore if I am too hungry outside of mealtimes, before the “shoulds,” I will drink my calories (and sensibilities) away.
- I was ready to go on hiatus, but my wife brought me back to sensibility; I do enjoy a good bottle of wine, I just need to make sure the reasons (interesting, because she was the one that first opened my eyes, palette and heart to social drinking and now, she’s helped do it again with my tummy!).
- Back to portion counting; albeit a softer version, but still portion counting. After learning – through non-mistakes – I am comfortable doing this. I am comfortable saying that intuitive eating is less a part of me than portion counting. I am comfortable saying that softer portion counting [no weighing EVER, only calorie counting when ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY (since the latter actually allows me to try unknown things, fit it into me)], is helpful to me. I am comfortable saying that this allows me to be the person I want to be, but acting as a boundary, an insurance that I will not falter. I am comfortable saying that I want/need portion counting to retain the me-ness of me throughout a busy day. That’s why it was not a mistake to try intuitive eating – hell, it might be something we go back to someday. It was not a mistake because now I don’t say “grow” or “be able” to eat intuitively; I say that if it fits, it will be a part of our future.
- To address the symptoms (and some of the causes) of over-stress:
- Unrecognized hunger
- Portion counting and food timing
- Decreased sex drive
- Sex drive
- Pushing through discomfort and communicating openly about sex
- Increased spiral thinking
- Food timing
- Recognizing that spiral thinking are signs/signals, that (insert venomous tool of the blackness here) is more about being in a position of weakness, not about being weak
- Unrecognized fatigue
- Re-instituting candles
- Decreased silliness/gentleness
- Happy lists
- Unrecognized hunger
There are still gaps, especially in needing to develop more coping strategies and boundaries that prevent the blackness from taking hold of the symptoms of over-stress. In fact, my wife brought up a point yesterday, that I completely understand. I understand that this does not deal with the core issue as much as it could. These lines fight the symptoms more than the disease. Therefore, while this next stage in recovery means boundaries, stop-gaps and lines that help support the anti-stress movement, it still requires further thought about what to do about this whole stress thing (if I were to put money on it, I’d say there are more beautiful candle and happy list ideas in my future, once my wife digests our talk and taps into her beautiful, amazing and loving vivid genius).